La Fondation Maison des sciences de l’homme (FMSH) et l’Institut Français de Recherche en Afrique (IFRA) du Nigeria proposent à des postdoctorants résidant en France une aide à la mobilité pour réaliser un séjour de recherche de 2 ou 3 mois en Afrique de l’Ouest : Nigeria, Ghana, Bénin et Togo.
Seront soutenus des projets de recherche qui s’inscrivent dans la politique scientifique de l’IFRA Nigeria, en synergie avec ses chercheurs ou ses partenaires au Nigeria. Les projets interdisciplinaires sont bienvenus.
Cet appel s’inscrit dans le cadre du Programme Atlas de mobilité postdoctorale de courte durée lancé par la FMSH et ses partenaires.
This year again, IFRA-Nigeria is the official Nigerian partner of the Mastercard Foundation-Sciences Po scholarship, a unique opportunity for African students to pursue a Master degree at Sciences Po in France. The Mastercard Foundation will sponsor the selected student(s) to integrate one of Sciences Po many Master programs such as Law, International Affairs, Urban Studies or Management and Innovation.
Job Vacancy: 2 positions of Junior Researcher in Linguistics. NaijaSynCor 2020
Job Description: Contribute to the production and annotation of Naija Wikitionary ( a Wiki-based dictionary of Nigerian Pidgin)
Online Workshop: "Exploring hidden narratives in the West African Tramadol trade and transport of migrants"
We are happy to invite you to an online workshop discussing the policy paper "Exploring hidden narratives in the West African Tramadol trade and transport of migrants". The workshop will be held on Tuesday 11th of August at 2pm on Zoom. The policy paper was published by Bristol University as part of the project Hidden Narratives on Transnational Organised Crimes (TNOC) in West Africa. The workshop will be facilitated by Dr Gernot Klantschnig, Dr. Philippe Frowd, Dr Elodie Apard.
IFRA Funding for DATA COLLECTION on Covid-19 in Nigeria
The emergence of Covid-19 late 2019, and its subsequent spread all over the globe, have challenged both stable and fragile States, have endangered, even the strongest economies and transformed all societies. In Nigeria, the virus has, very early on, been considered as a serious threat, and the governments, State administrations and civil society actors warned citizens and put in place measures to avoid its spread.
On Thursday 7th of May at 2pm., IFRA-Nigeria and the Alliance Française of Lagos/ Mike Adenuga Centre will host an online book discussion with critically acclaimed writer TJ Benson, through the Instagram page of the Alliance Française of Lagos. We are very excited to announce that the author, TJ Benson himself, will be with us to will talk about his latest work We Won’t Fade Into Darkness published in 2018 by Parrésia. The discussion will be facilitated by Julien Roland (PhD candidate in translation studies at Kent State University).
Call for application, PhD opportunity with CNRS (Paris, France): "Languages of the Benue Valley Nigeria, Linguistic documentation and grammatical analysis"
Subject: Languages of the Benue Valley Nigeria, Linguistic documentation and grammatical analysis: PhD Student, CNRS, Paris, France
[French version available below]
Web Address: http://llacan.vjf.cnrs.fr/
Date: Friday 13th of March, 5pm-7pm
Location: Court yard of the Institute of African Studies, next to IFRA-Nigeria's office (University of Ibadan)
On Friday 13 March at 5pm., IFRA held its first literary event of the year: a group discussion about “In the Nude” a collection of poems written by Logan February, in presence of the author. The discussion was facilitated by Julien Roland (PhD candidate in translation studies at Kent State University).
WRITING WORKSHOP ON "RETHINKING DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA: ECONOMIC HISTORY, IDEAS, POLICIES"
Call for Applications
The organisers of the Ibadan 2020 Writing Workshop, supported by the Global Challenges Research Fund of the British Academy, are pleased to invite applications for participation in a fully-funded Writing Workshop programme that will be taking place at the University of Ibadan (Nigeria) from 22 – 24 July 2020. The University of Ibadan is a pioneer institution in the fields of African history and humanities.
Call for application: Sciences Po Paris mobility grant - Nomination for the Erasmus + mobility program for UI masters students
IFRA-Nigeria is the official Nigerian partner of Erasmus + mobility grant for an exchange with Sciences Po Paris, a unique opportunity for Nigerian students to pursue a semester of exchange within a Master degree at Sciences Po in France. The Erasmus + program will sponsor one student to integrate one of Sciences Po many Master programs such as Law, International Affairs, Urban Studies or Management and Innovation for the fall semester of 2020/2021.
Interview of the Fellow of the month
January 2020 : Oluwaseun Williams, PhD candidate at the Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva, Switzerland.
"By all means, endeavour to take maximum advantage of every opportunity for training, research, funding and other kinds of stuff provided by IFRA-Nigeria and other establishments."
We join the CNRS in its demand for the immediate release of the researcher detained in Iran.
Report - Book launch: Classify, exclude and police: Urban lives in South Africa and Nigeria, by Prof. Laurent Fourchard
- Dates: 14th and 16th of January 2020
- Venues: Alliance Française of Lagos/ Mike Adenuga Centre and Drapers Hall, Institute of African Studies, University of Ibadan.
IFRA-Nigeria organised two events for the book launch of Prof. Laurent Fourchard, titted Classify, exclude and police: urban lives in South Africa and Nigeria. The events, in Lagos and in Ibadan, marked the launch of the forthcoming English version of the book in Wiley-Blackwell, originally published in French in 2018.
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS: People of the Global “Backyard”: Africans and the Quest for Identity in the Twenty-First Century
KUJUA, the Journal of the African Studies Students’ Association (Institute of African Studies, University of Ibadan) is calling for abstract for the 1st edition of its online academic journal.
Call for paper: Africa 2020 "Artistic, Digital, and Political Creation in English-Speaking African Countries'
The University of Aix-Marseilles and its peer-reviewed journal of AMU research centre on Anglophone Studies (LERMA), E-rea, is dedicating a special issue to contemporary creation in English-speaking African countries in the frame of the Africa 2020 season on the theme of "Artistic, Digital, and Political Creation"
More Articles ...
- Call for papers for Sources: Environmental Knowledge and Nature(s) in Africa
- Call for application: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program 2020
- Call for application: IFRA 2019 Conference funding
- Call for papers: Sources of Violence, How to document and study violent phenomena in Africa?
- Report: Roundtables “Gender of/in African cities”
- Call for paper: XVIIIe Mega Tchad Symposium
- Roundtable: Gender in/of African cities
- Report: Conference « Looking for and learning from public spaces in African cities »
- Report: Masterclass “Researching public spaces in African cities”
- Report – Guest Lecture “Global Orisha: Diasporic Connections in the “Yoruba-inspired Atlantic” by Dr. Stefania Capone
- One Day Conference: Looking For and Learning From African Public Spaces
- Call for Application: Annual ARCIS Natural Language Processing Summer School 2019
- Appel à candidature : Bourse pour un travail de terrain sur le programme “Supporting Entrepreneurship in Africa”
- Latest publications about Nigeria in the Social Sciences and the Humanities: May - August 2018
- Call for Application: “Supporting Entrepreneurship in Africa”
- Call for applications: Masterclass “Researching public spaces in African cities”
- Call for application: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program 2019
- Latest publications about Nigeria in the Social Sciences and the Humanities: January - February 2018
- Guest lecture “Courage in Politics” By Cynthia Fleury (CNAM/Ecole des Mines Paris)
- Book Launch: The Boko Haram Reader. From Nigerian Preachers to the Islamic State (Hurst Publishers 2017)
- About us
- Research Projects
- Digital Humanities
- Research Fellows