The Niger-Nigeria Risks Assessment Project examines different dimensions of ‘Risk’ in Niger through a study of observable facts illustrating issues of fragility, instability and conflict-generation in this country, as well as from the perspective of trans-border exchanges between Niger and Nigeria.
The project comprises three main research directions and mobilizes 12 qualified researchers, 8 from Niger and 4 from Nigeria. They aim at gathering new empirical data on these topics which have so far generally been treated quite superficially in the Social Sciences and the Humanities. The team wishes to harness a reflection on the potentially dangerous character of these activities. It aims at identifying early warning signs and formulates recommendations to help preventing risk.
The program would include a synthesis of knowledge locally generated in Niger/Nigerian universities in the form of Masters and Ph.D. theses, thorough fieldwork, working seminars and the publication of scientific results on leading scholarly digital platforms and/or journals. The joint program would also go beyond the linguistic divide by bringing together scholars from Niger and Nigeria.
- Project Leader: Institut français de recherche en Afrique (IFRA)
- Project Associate: Laboratoire d’études et de recherches sur les dynamiques sociales et le développement local (www.lasdel.net)
- Coordinator: M. Gérard Chouin
- Total funding: 99 999 €
- Maximal support brought by CSFRS: 99 999 €
- Begining and duration of Project: 18 october 2011, 11 mois
The PERILA research project, jointly conducted by IFRA-Nigeria and Lasdel (Laboratory for Study and Research on Social Dynamics and Local Development), ended in July 2013.
After 12 months of work, several meetings, collective thought, and long periods of individual fieldwork, the 11 researchers involved delivered their reports:
Dr. Seyni Moumouni:
- Dynamics of Radical Religious Groups in Niger
Dr. Nathaniel Danjibo:
- The Izala Movement as a Revivalist Ideological Movement in Kano
- Systems of Education, National Integration and Development in Nigeria: A Study of Some Schools in Kano State
Mahamane Tahirou Ali Bako:
- Islamization of the Educational Sphere in Niger
Dr. Abdourahmane Idrissa:
- Governance and Public Policies: Youth and Employment in Niger
Dr. Ila Ahmed:
- Governance and Public Policies: Access to Energy in Niger
Dr. Amadou Oumarou:
- Challenges of Food Safety in Niger: Analysis of Public Policies
- Regional Trade in Grain between Nigeria and Niger: A Case Study of Food Security Risk in Illéla – Sokoto Borderland
Dr. Hamani Oumarou:
- Rural Exodus and Urban Security: Migration and Security in the City of Konni (Niger)
Dr. Rasheed Olaniyi:
- Transborder Circulation: Nigerien Immigrants in Kano
Dr. Willie Eselebor:
- Risk Assessment in the Context of Cross-Border Insecurities: A Case Study of Illela Border in Nigeria
Dr. Mounkaïla Harouna:
- Risks Related to Mass Returns of Nigerien Immigrants from Libya: The Case of the Municipality of Tchintabaraden