Thanks to the Institut Francais and the French Embassy in Nigeria, IFRA organised a series of lectures by Cynthia Fleury, philosopher and psychoanalyst, professor at the National Center for Arts and Crafts (CNAM). On Friday, 20th of September, Prof. Fleury was welcome at our cherished Draper’s hall at the Institute of African Studies in the University of Ibadan for a challenging lecture entitled “Courage in politics”.
Book Launch: The Boko Haram Reader. From Nigerian Preachers to the Islamic State (Hurst Publishers 2017)
By Abdulbasit Kassim (Rice University, Texas)
On Wednesday 5th of September 2018, IFRA was very pleased to host Mr. Abdulbasit Kassim, PhD student in Religion at Rice University in Texas. Mr. Kassim is the co-author with Michael Nwankpa of The Boko Haram Reader. From Nigerian Preachers to the Islamic State published in 2017 by Hurst Publishers. The book launch was organised at 10am in Draper’s Hall at the Institute of African Studies in the University of Ibadan.
A Masterclass held at the Aminu Kano Centre for Democratic Research and Training (Mambayya House), Bayero University, Kano from July 2nd to July 7th, 2018
IFRA is pleased to invite you to our book discussion led by Prof. Saheed Aderinto on his new book Guns and Society in Colonial Nigeria. Firearms, Culture and Public Order (2018, Indiana University Press). The book discussion will take place on Wednesday 13th of June, 2018 at 2pm PROMPT in Draper's Hall, Institute of African Studies, University of Ibadan.
Date: 25th of May
Location: IFRA-Nigeria's library
IFRA was pleased to organise a research training seminar on the 25th of May in our library led by Mrs. Chrystel Oloukoi entitled “Nocturnal Fieldwork and ‘Assisted’ Field Research”. She is a PhD student in African and African-American Studies at Harvard University. A geographer by training, her work has notably addressed power relations in nocturnal contexts in Lagos and Johannesburg. She has conducted field research in Ikeja (Lagos State) and Maboneng (Johannesburg) during which the issue of research assistantship was particularly sensitive and critical.
The French Institute for Research in Africa (IFRA) Nigeria (Ibadan), Sciences Po (Paris), Mambayya House, BUK (Kano) and Columbia University (New York) invite applications for 16 young researchers on our jointly taught research masterclass, to be held at Mambayya House, Kano, from July 2nd to July 7th, 2018.
On Thursday, 17th of May, we are really pleased to invite you to an IFRA-Nigeria/Institut Francais/Institute of African Studies Guest lecture entitled "Citizenship and Nationality. An individual and collective challenge for the nation" by Professor Patrick WEIL.
The lecture will take place at 2pm prompt in Draper's Hall, Institute of African Studies, University of Ibadan.
The Leibniz-Zentrum Moderner Orient (ZMO) of Berlin announces the opening of a research position for a doctoral candidate, as part of a research project on: “Religion, Morality and Bokon West Africa: Students Training for a Good Life (Remoboko)”.
IFRA-Nigeria together with the French Embassy in Nigeria are offering series of fieldwork grants for Master students enrolled in a selection of Nigerian universities. The goal is to help Master students with coping with the financial costs associated with field research, including transport fees to research locations, accommodations, interview transcription, research assistantship and others. Each grant will be worth 500 euros.
IFRA training workshop: "Research Methodology and the craft of academic writing and publication" by Dr. Vincent Hiribarren
Date: Thursday, 12th & Friday 13th of April, 2018
Location: Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) in Zaria
On Thursday, 12th & Friday 13th of April, 2018, an IFRA delegation was the guest of the Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) in Zaria. Until recently, the Institute for Development, Research and Training (IDR&T) of ABU was hosting one of the two headquarters of IFRA in Nigeria. Therefore, we have enjoyed a strong and longstanding relationship with this university and it is a pleasure to contribute to restore and strengthen our ties. IFRA, accompanied by the Higher Education Attaché of the French embassy Prof. Leila Matthieu, was welcomed by the Vice-Chancellor of the University Prof. Ibrahim Garba, the Director of the IDR&T Professor Hudu. A. Ayuba and other distinguished personalities of the academic life in Zaria to discuss opportunities of collaborations.
Date: 9th of April 2018
Location: IFRA-Nigeria's library
On Monday, 9th of April, IFRA was delighted to organise a workshop led by Dr. Vincent Hiribarren (King’s College, London), Lecturer in Modern African History at King’s College London. Last year, Dr. Hiribaren published A History of Borno: Trans-Saharan African Empire to Failing Nigerian State (Hurst Publisher, 2017), based on his PhD thesis and that he came to present in Ibadan. He has conducted archival and field research in various locations of Northern Nigeria, including Kaduna and Maiduguri, along with consulting colonial archives in Paris, London and Berlin. He has also a deep interest in cartography, as underlined in his personal website.
The French Institute for Research in Africa (IFRA), Sciences Po Paris and the University of Ibadan have signed an agreement to promote exchanges of students between the respective institutions.
The French Institute for Research in Africa (IFRA-Nigeria) is offering grants to support valuable graduate students presenting papers at regional and international conferences in any field of the Social Sciences and the Humanities.
Date: 1st of March 2018
Location: IFRA-Nigeria's library
On Thursday, 1st of March, IFRA was happy to organise a seminar led by Dr. Sounaye Abdoulaye, research fellow at the Leibniz-Zentrum Moderner Orient (ZMO) of Berlin, Germany.
A religious studies scholar trained at Northwestern University (United States), Dr. Sounaye is a specialist of Islam, which he has researched extensively in Niger and Nigeria. He has notably focused on Salafi leaders and movements. He is currently starting a project on religious practices on Nigerian campuses.
Latest publications about Nigeria in the Social Sciences and the Humanities: November - December 2017
BiblioNigeria is a watchtower for all articles and books published about Nigeria in the Social Sciences and the Humanities. Every two months, a downloadable bulletin is published here to present an almost exhaustive list of most recent publications. Authors as well as users are invited to submit references through the link below.
November - December 2017 edition is available here:
More Articles ...
- NaijaSynCor project: release of a pilot syntactic corpus of Naija
- IFRA training workshop: "Enhancing African Studies Research in the Digital Age: Linking Open Data of the Liberated Africans Project and West Africa Historical GIS" by Prof. Henry Lovejoy
- NaijaSynCor Masterclass: Training on IT Tools for Electronic Corpus Annotation
- IFRA training workshop: "(Re)writing articles for Academic Journals" by Prof Laurent Fourchard
- 10 Myths on Violence in Nigeria”, 11-15th of December, 2017 IFRA Library
- Human Trafficking on Sexual Exploitation in Nigeria, 30th of November, 2017, Ibadan School of Governement and Public Policy
- Latest publications about Nigeria in the Social Sciences and the Humanities: September-October 2017
- Latest publications about Nigeria in the Social Sciences and the Humanities: July-August 2017
- E-papers now online: Sacred Urbanism Entrepreneurial Religion, Infrastructure and the New Urbanism in Nigeria
- Human trafficking for Sexual Exploitation in Nigeria: E-papers and final report
- IFRA/WORDOC Seminar "Human Trafficking on Sexual Exploitation In Nigeria"
- IFRA training workshop: "Reading Autobiographical Sources: Potentials and Challenges in Human and Social Sciences" By Dr. Roberto Zaugg
- Call for application: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
- 10 myths on Violence in Nigeria
- From 'Planning' to 'Systems Analysis': Health Services and Development at the World Health Organisation, 1952-1975.
- IFRA training workshop: "Researching the history of medicine and health in Nigeria" by Dr. John Manton
- IFRA training workshop: “Media as fieldwork. How to do ethnography with press articles” Dr. Julien Bonhomme
- Report : Book Launch: The Sex Thieves, by Julien Bonhomme (2016, The University of Chicago Press)
- Latest publications about Nigeria in the Social Sciences and the Humanities: May-June 2017
- Latest publications about Nigeria in the Social Sciences and the Humanities - March-April 2017